Tuesday, April 9, 2013

No-Kitchen Food Stamp Challenge, Day 2

Here's what I ate yesterday:

  • Breakfast: bread with peanut butter; instant coffee with dry milk powder added. (I thought the milk powder was a good idea in place of nondairy creamer; it's more nutritious, it's just as convenient, and it adds some protein instead of artificial chemicals.)
  • Morning snack: apple with peanut butter.
  • Lunch: oatmeal with dry milk powder and honey added; more coffee.
  • Afternoon snack: banana, chocolate chips.
  • Dinner: a can of chili beans over couscous. (I added salt and pepper, the only spices I'm using from my own supply, as in the previous challenge week.)
Today's meals will be pretty much the same, although I might have canned tuna instead of beans tonight. 

I'm already missing the vegetables in my diet. I just couldn't figure out how to make veggies work without using canned ones, and when I was weighing the cost for a can of vegetables versus the nutrition it would (or would not) provide, and the less desirable taste of canned vegetables, the veggies didn't seem worth the cost. 

Fresh or frozen vegetables, on the other hand, are impossible without a fridge to keep them in, unless I eat them the day I buy them; if I do that, then I have to eat the entire quantity in one serving. 

If I really want some veggies later in the week, I might "return" (actually, put in the donation pile) a can or two of beans and buy a bag of frozen vegetables, which I would thaw in hot water, or some canned veggies. But I will only do this if I have to grocery shop for the rest of the family, as I don't want to make any extra (and possibly unrealistic) trips to the store for this challenge. 

Vegetables, then, really are the most difficult part, at least for me, of eating without the use of full kitchen facilities and "without" easy access to a grocery store. 

No comments:

Post a Comment