Monday, April 8, 2013

Food Stamp Challenge, Take Two: Food Bloggers Against Hunger (Day 1)

I'm back! In an earlier post, I mentioned the idea of retaking the food stamp challenge but eating only food that could be prepared without a fully equipped kitchen, as a person living in a motel room might have to do. In honor of Food Bloggers Against Hunger day, I'm beginning that experiment today.

Here are the rules I've set for myself: $29.07 for the week. No stove, refrigerator, Crock Pot, microwave, coffee maker, toaster, or blender. I'm using only my can opener and electric kettle, plus plates and utensils for eating.

Eric and the kids are not participating in this challenge. I'll cook for them as usual, and any leftovers that would have been my portion will be frozen for future use or will become Eric's lunch for the next day.

I've already done my shopping for the week. Here's what I bought:



It actually adds up to $30.06, but since I was shopping for the rest of the family at the same time and had a cart full of perishable food for them, I couldn't go back to swap or put back items. Instead, I'll aim to have a can or two left over to donate at the end of the week.

A few notes on these items:

  • Yes, there are chocolate chips in there. Not the healthiest choice, but I know I'll need to satisfy my sweet tooth to make it through the week.
  • No veggies either. More on this in a future post. 
  • Lots of canned foods. I'm trying not to think about all the BPA I might ingest this week. 
  • On the other hand, the apples are organic, and the bread is preservative free (I hope it lasts the week!). They were on sale for good prices.
  • I can prepare the couscous and oats in boiling water from the electric kettle.
These were not necessarily the best possible choices I could have made, but this time, contrary to my earlier food stamp challenge week, I did not comparison shop or spend much time planning in advance. I jotted down a list right before entering Woodman's and grabbed my items quickly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment